Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Cilantro noodles

I got this cilantro noodles recipe from the Noble Pig. But I decided to try to make it into a main dish. I followed the recipe, except instead of just sauteeing the shallots, I cooked some chopped chicken in the skillet, then added shallots. I ended up with more chicken than I planned, so I ended up increasing most of the ingredients a bit and just kind of playing it by ear. It was very simple and quick, even with the addition of chicken.

A few lessons learned:

1. I didn't want to rinse the noodles in cool water because I wanted them hot, so I skipped the rinsing. However, I think the purpose of the rinsing was to get off some of the starch and prevent the noodles from sticking together. As a result, the meal was fine but the leftovers are a bit gluey. Maybe rinsing is important.

2. I should have seasoned the chicken a bit more. I just threw it in with the oils. I did add some extra soy sauce at the end to account for the chicken plus the additional pack of Ramen I added. However, some flavoring on the chicken to start with would have added a nice touch.

3. Since I knew I'd be eating one serving and saving the rest, I just cut some cilantro and added it to my own personal serving dish. I saved the rest, and I'll cut it up when I'm ready to eat my next servings.

No comments: