I recently read a book about the history of U Street, the neighborhood where I now live in D.C. The history of the area is really interesting, as it went from predominately white residents to predominately black residents to a mix brought by recent "gentrification" of the area.
But while reading the book, I also learned more about the LeDroit Park neighborhood, which borders the U Street area. It began as an area full of wealthy white folks in large mansions, most built in the 1870s. When those people deserted the area, others moved into those homes and the area became predominately Africa-American by World War I. Many prominent African-Americans (famous in D.C. as well as famous nationwide) were associated with the area.
I finally had a chance to walk around the area this weekend and explore a bit. It has some gorgeous and HUGE houses. (Many appeared to be split into multiple units.)
The neighborhood is adorable, with many small, well-landscaped lawns (and a few larger lawns), a park and even a little circle park in the middle of the area. I failed to take a camera as I incorporated my walk through the neighborhood into my morning jog, but photos would definitely supplement my descriptions.
Definitely a place worth walking through if you're ever looking for a little more of the neighborhood history in D.C.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment