In case anyone is hiding under a rock and hasn't heard, a Metro crash yesterday in D.C. resulted in nine deaths (as of the time I'm typing this). The latest Washington Post story describes what is known so far about the reasons behind the crash.
I was at work when the crash occurred (around 5 p.m.), so I was safely out of the way. However, the incident was in the section of track that I take daily between work and home. (Even if I had been headed home at that time, however, the crash occurred on the south-bound tracks — trains headed into the District not toward my home in Maryland.)
In addition to the obvious sadness in the area due to the nine dead and more than 70 injured in the crash, Metro service continues to be disrupted. Crews continued searching for bodies through this morning. Now, a crash scene investigation is under way. Three Metro stations (of the five between my house and work) are closed. The only option for taking that route to and from work is to wait for shuttle buses (which hold significantly fewer people than the trains) to bridge the gap. So far, I've been able to avoid that, but I might have to try it tomorrow and hope that it won't take me many, many hours to get to work. I haven't heard any word as to when they think the stations will open again, and I'm sure it'll be awhile before service is back to normal.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment