This is just never-ending.
I had been wanting to try the bar Churchkey for a while. It has an amazing beer list including four or five cask ales at all times. I didn't make it last week, so I was determined to go this week. I finally convinced a couple co-workers to go with me after deadline earlier this week.
In anticipation, I checked out the draft list they had online. ... and it listed Schlafly Kolsch! I discovered this around 4 p.m. while I was working and was unable to contain my excitement the rest of the night as I watched the clock tick down to 8 p.m. (and, of course, continued to do stellar page layouts and editing).
I got the bar and, without a glance at the menu, asked if they had Schlafly Kolsch. "No." No?!?! NO!!!!!! I can't explain my disappointment.
So, then I did look at a beer menu and ended up having a Harpoon Summer Ale (which he claimed was similar to the Kolsch) and an Oktoberfest of some sort as well as a German Hefeweisen and a bit of some tasty cask ale. And, despite the lack of Kolsch, the place is wonderful. The bar itself is fine and very nice, but the beer selection is just so amazing. I could go there every day (if it were more on my way and if I were rich).
But, yet another Schlafly Kolsch fail. I have one more possible Kolsch taste in the future, but I don't want to divulge much until I see if it works out. And if not that, then I guess I'll have to wait until I pass through St. Louis in July. (Then I can snag some Boulevard, too, which should really expand its offerings out this way.)
To raise my morale after the disappointment, I stopped at the famous Ben's Chili Bowl for the first time on my way home that night. (When I grabbed that link I realized the site is currently down, but I loved that it incorrectly used "bare" so felt the need to link it anyway.) I had a chili halfsmoke. Quite good! (And not much of a line since it was a Tuesday.)
I also realized that place is open almost as many hours as Pop's in Sauget (which is saying something). It opens at 6 a.m. most days and is open all the way until 4 a.m. on some days (Friday and Saturday, I think).
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment